Saturday, March 19, 2011

Haiti, the condensed version





More pictures to follow :D

1. Dani and I on the way to Pignon.
2. My hair, after having braids in for a week
3. Emily and I showing everyone the best way to keep your corn rows.
4. Ben Palmer and I (I'll get team photos later?)
5. Jutizana (spelling?) and I on the first day.

Without much time to process, I shall share what I learned during my week in Haiti.

1. Spiritual Gifts
Everyone is blessed with different gifts that are used to benefit others. Passions are slightly different than spiritual gifts. Personally, I love children. I want to work with children in a career someday. However, I'm blessed with the ability to love and communicate with people. People of all ages. I was able to love and bless people outside of the United Christians International (UCI) base.

2. Husbands/Dating.
Conversation during English class:
Milan: "You have boyfriend"
Me: "Yes."
Milan: "You love your boyfriend?"
Me: "not yet?"
Milan: "why he your boyfriend then?"
(come on, it's been a month)

In Haiti, there seems to be a lack of choosing who you date. And it may be a wonderful idea. I mean, you learn to love someone as opposed to finding every flaw and ditching them to the street as Americans often do.

As for my Dating scene in Haiti.... Here are the typical comments I heard from 5 males..

"I like a woman who work hard and eat a lot. I like a you."
"I want to be your lover."
"I love avocado, too"
"I want to marry you. I never meet you before." (he asked me to marry him over the summer)
"I think you be happy marry Haitian man"
"I love Jesus Christ, I love you."

Usually in Haiti, genders stick together. Girls are shy and more difficult to approach. Males like to practice English, and I want to practice Creole.. but I always got stuck in awkward moments.
3. Relationships- I went into this trip thinking it would be "2nd reformed church plus two college students."

People change and grow apart.
People who have only known you for a week can make you laugh so hard you make the entire plane stare at you.
Friends need to be maintained outside of text messages and facebook.
People who you thought treated you as an outsider, can make your trip worthwhile.

4. Pouring Cement
Shoveling cement isn't the best job for me. I'll stick to passing the buckets.

No comments:

Post a Comment