Sunday, February 28, 2010

Latern Day! Spring Festival is over!

After a rather painful massage from a blind man last night, I am glad today was another rather “lazy day.” The good think about the massage was that it was about 7 US dollars for an hour, and it would have felt good if I wasn’t “in bad shape” in so many places. Today we celebrated the Latern’s Day with some Chinese professors and their families. The apartment was filed with about 40 people, and Mike and I had the joy of going to the market to buy the supplies for dumplings. We got everything, and it was so cheap! The ladies at the market were so nice they gave me free vegetables (everything was super tasty!) While making dumplings I was named the *dumpling queen* because I cooked them all so quickly. It was nice to meet professors one on one, I guess that my ESL course is going to be more of a directed study, and the teacher gave me a list of some books… she has some, and I think I am supposed to buy some on Amazon but I do not think Amazon can ship to China! I need to talk with her more on this! I was then introduced to another lady who teaches at a business place, and she asked me to come and teach adults 3 or 4 times, I think that I will take her up on the offer- it sounds like a wonderful experience (my regular internship placement is with 4 year olds, or Chinese Kindergarten). After eating a HUGE amount of dumplings and peanut butter sandwiches (odd combination, I know, we were supposed to have American and Chinese food) the 2 English teachers taught Jackie, Jack and myself how to play mahjong. I ended up losing terribly, but it was still fun! A few other things that don’t fit into my blog need to be mentioned:
1. The people here are so kind and friendly! I used to think Americans are friendly, but I have never had anyone give me a lot of vegetables free, especially if I cannot speak the same language.
2. the culture is so calming! Plans are hardly ever made in advance, I really disliked this when I first arrived, but now it is really nice!
3. The laundry is confusing here! It took about 2 hours for my stuff to dry, the load are very small, about 3 pairs of jeans fills it up!
4. I am finding myself using simpler words. I can’t understand what the people are saying, but when someone knows English, I know which tenses confuse them. (These are the things the teacher would like me to talk about in the class)
5. Living without Sunkist is possible, and tea is rather good (only too much will make me stay up sick).

No comments:

Post a Comment