Saturday, July 17, 2010

home strange home

I am home from China, and depart for the Haiti mission trip on Monday.

Things are rather strange back in Iowa. Upon leaving the Des Moines Airport, I was confused by how "dull" Des Moines feels.. what is this thing called cross-cultural shock?!

Some things that I have noticed are different: (mind you, I am not really focused on noticing differences, I am preparing for Haiti)

1. I have a TON of clothes. I mean, I made it 7 months in China wearing the same clothes every week..

2. Iowa really is small. (For those of you who don't know, this is my first time being in a "big city."

3. People's lives move on without you... My brother is almost taller than me, my mom had (and broke up with) another boyfriend.. etc.

4. American food is too rich. I'm really sorry but there must be a mention of food in every blog... My dad made me Mickey Mouse pancakes and I spent most of the day in the bathroom.. lots of butter and maple syrup could have been saved :)

2 comments: