Monday, April 29, 2013

AmeriCorps hour 1287

Just thought I would drop by and provide a few updates!

1. Today, Collins-Maxwell IMPACT completed their service learning project for Global Youth Service Day! A few months ago, they identified cooking, sports, and iPads as their interests, and chose to collect canned goods for the food pantry in exchange for a healthy snack and the option of playing some bags. The youth collected 28 cans and $4.00!

2. Tomorrow is the Risky Business conference. I have the opportunity to present with a co-worker and  staff from VolunteerLocal. Our presentation focuses on volunteering and social media and I have the opportunity to promote AmeriCorps while talking about the differences between service-learning and volunteering. This is a great example of how AmeriCorps members can expand their experiences through professional opportunities!

3. I have finalized my graduate committee! We are hoping I can finish my masters and certificate program by the Fall of 2014 at the latest. More details regarding the focus of my thesis to come! Since AmeriCorps terms are only a year long, next year I will be working on my masters full-time in order to take advantage of ISU's campus and the professional opportunities provided though assistantship programs.

4. As you can tell, I am closer to being at  the 1,700 hours required for my education award! I am ahead, so I am hoping to spend some time in the lovely state of Washington with Mr. B over the summer before I finish my year of service on July 31st.

Good night for now!

Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment