Friday, November 9, 2012

Non Profit Summit

Wednesday and Thursday I attended the Iowa Non-profit Summit in Des Moines. The Summit was a great place to network with other non-profits as well as other AmeriCorps members. I came back with new ideas for things to implement at Youth and Shelter Services (YSS) as well as some ideas that will carry over into future work.

Things I wish I knew:

1. One of the sessions was focused on service-learning. I thought it was the type of service-learning done with high-schoolers and middle schoolers, but it was actually college service-learning, which is pretty different. This session was still interesting, but the knowledge will be filed away for a couple of years. :)

2. To bring snacks. It's always about the snacks.

Major take away messages:

1. Whats your 50? Iowa's Governor has released the challenge for all Iowans to volunteer 50 hours in one year! That's about an hour a week for those math wizards out there. Mentor a youth, check out the volunteer opportunities in your county, or become a 4-H volunteer! The average Iowan already volunteers 34 hours per year, so why not step-up your service! Make the commitment to make Iowa the healthiest and most dedicated state today! Share what you are doing in your community below!

2. Handing out dollar bills increases participation in discussion.

3. Public value is important to stakeholders. As I write my Great Stories and talk about my program, I need to talk about the works importance to the community and state as a whole, rather than just the participant value.

4. Rumor has it, drinking from a camelback straw could cause wrinkles.

No comments:

Post a Comment